Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 2: Relief

Of all the things I could have done, why would a person like me want to go into AP History? Because it's awesome.

Here's the breakdown of my day. First class:  we learned what we already learned during the summer homework. And, we learned that no one in the school knows why/how oxygen and hydrogen form a 104.5 degree angle when bonded into water. Hmph. Well, AP Bio was a waste. Oh yeah, if I have to learn the hybrid orbitals, I'm gonna fail.

Second class:  AP English. Well, this was fairly easy. We had a sub. How hard could it be? Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We had to write an essay for the work that day. Luckily, it was about one of our favorite pictures, and how it affected my life. This is it in its finished form.

"The Cascade" by Andrew Christiansen

A Picture Makes Time Stand Still


Contradiction. That's the simple nature of this world. As one life begins, another ends. The world stays unpredictable. Peace is but an ideal, not a reality. But, in spite of all this, there is joy and hope. Without such, there would be no reason for living, and no one would stop to behold a simple cascade of flowers growing on the side of the road. At the beginning of the summer, this cascade seemed to be a symbol of hope. But, by the end, it wept the story of the passing season.

The summer began like any other--a joyous time of pure freedom. A couple of days in, however, my joy was crushed by a single call from my grandmother. My grandfather had just had his first brush with death. Concerned, my mother left immediately to help and upon her arrival to their house, my second oldest dog died during one of his seizures. The cascade withered in my heart, leaving nothing but an empty husk, breaking my soul.

As hopeless as it may seem, my husk began to heal as time went on. My grandfather was on the mend, and the hole left from my dog was filled with chores and my care for my grandfather. The sorrow waned, and I became hopeful again, like the sun rising after a long and cold night. I began to hope of days yet to come, but the cascade shall always weep for me.




 
Depressing, huh?
 
Third class:  AP History. This had to be the most fun I've had all day. First off, the teacher used to be a preacher, so you can imagine how that worked out. Second, he's explaining the "WHY" of history rather than the "WHAT." This is gonna be fun.
 
And lastly, Journalism. All I had to do was learn what I already knew. Lucky me. And, one of the cute girls from the newspaper staff was checking me out all block. Even luckier me.
 
Who am I kidding? I'm just a simple guy that's obsessed with video games. And, judging by the essay, I'm much deeper than I thought. So...I just contribute all I do to the gifts I have recieved from one person. And that one man...is God. Without you, nothing is possible.
 
Now that I've gotten all sentimental, I guess I can just go and leave you crying. Or not.
 
And with that, *POOF* I'm gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment